Tuesday 2 April 2013

My first podcast: Imperial Hackspace



For the most recent I, Science magazine on DIY Science, Josh Howgego and I went to London Hackspace for an evening of Biohacking. It was an eye opening experience, mainly because of diverse and interesting people who wanted to have a go at some molecular biology. We wrote about it for I, Science, see below.

I found out soon after that there were plans for a Hackspaces in my own institution, which in many ways is shocking. Part of the idea of a Hackspace is to get away from constraints of an academic institution with its politics and funding issues, so that people with great ideas can work on individual projects without having to continually justify it. We are talking about a worldwide movement that has been critiqued it as anti-capitalist. So with initial plans at Imperial College London to form a Hackspace that would be integral to the university, I asked could an environment where the student has so much creative free rein have a place at Imperial College? I spoke to Professor Peter Childs and IC Design Collective to find out. Podcast was made for I, Science magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment